Why should you care whether the CBD product you’re eyeing is made with full-spectrum or broad-spectrum CBD? It all comes down to the presence of THC. Here’s what you need to know and why it matters.
- Full-spectrum CBD and broad-spectrum CBD are two of the three main types of hemp CBD extract.
- Where they differ is the presence of THC; full-spectrum CBD extract has detectable amounts of THC (no more than 0.3% by dry weight), whereas broad-spectrum CBD does not.
- With full-spectrum CBD extract, you make the most of the entourage effect, a theory that all the compounds native to hemp work together synergistically to maximize their benefits.
- Broad-spectrum CBD extract is an option for those who need or prefer to avoid THC.
When deciding which CBD product is right for you, you’ll want to consider whether you prefer full-spectrum or broad-spectrum CBD extracts. Both are widely available and deliver the natural balancing benefits of CBD, but there’s a notable distinction between them that you should keep in mind.
Here, we break down their differences, why you might choose one over the other, and offer a look at the types of full-spectrum and broad-spectrum products available.
Full spectrum and broad spectrum CBD: What are they?
CBD is just one of the many compounds in the hemp plant. Hemp extract contains hundreds of beneficial compounds that work together to promote balance and give your body what it needs to feel and function at its best.
Full spectrum CBD oil refers to hemp extract that retains all the cannabinoids, terpenes, and other nutritious compounds found in the hemp plant. This includes CBD and the more than 100 minor cannabinoids in hemp. Most specifically, THC. Full-spectrum CBD products can legally have up to 0.3% THC by dry weight.
Broad-spectrum CBD oil features many of the same hemp cannabinoids and other compounds as full spectrum CBD, but without any measurable levels of THC. With broad-spectrum, the small amounts of THC native to hemp are isolated and then removed through an additional process.
Why full spectrum CBD could be the way to go
So why choose a full spectrum CBD product, with small but detectable amounts of THC?
Regardless of what’s led you to seek the benefits of CBD, most in the hemp industry would agree that full spectrum CBD products are the best bet for most people.
There’s evidence to suggest that full-spectrum CBD products are more effective at supporting health. This is because of a theory called the entourage effect, which proposes that when all of the compounds in hemp extract are used together, they work together synergistically and offer enhanced effects compared to if they were consumed alone.
You’re probably wondering– does this mean full spectrum CBD is better than broad spectrum? It depends, as some people may need or prefer broad-spectrum products.
Why you might prefer broad spectrum CBD
Broad-spectrum CBD products allow you to experience the revolutionary benefits of CBD and hemp while avoiding even trace levels of THC. It still contains the other active compounds in hemp that you’re likely familiar with, including CBD.
In some cases, broad-spectrum CBD products are the way to go. If you need or prefer to avoid even small amounts of THC, then broad spectrum products could be a winning solution.
This doesn’t mean that the use of broad-spectrum CBD products will never show up on a drug test. For legal reasons, we cannot make any guarantees or claims on the outcome of CBD and drug tests. While rare, CBD products even without detectable THC levels can elicit a positive test.
Full spectrum CBD products
If full-spectrum CBD oil sounds right for you, there are multiple product options. At Koi CBD, we offer the benefits of the entourage effect in the form of gummies and tinctures.
Full spectrum CBD gummies
Our Koi Complete Full Spectrum CBD Gummies come in 20-count jars containing 500 mg CBD and 100 mg delta-9 THC. Each individual square-shaped gummy delivers 25 mg CBD and 5 mg delta-9 THC plus minor cannabinoids for an entourage effect that you’re more likely to feel.
Take a look at some of what verified buyers have shared about these full-spectrum gummies:
- “Superior taste with calming effects.” - Eric W.
- “I really like the full spectrum gummies with delta 9, very relaxing.” - Todd S.
- “Love the flavor, no yucky after taste. Doesn’t take long after eating to feel the lasting effects. Good product and a great value!” - Karen S.
These gummies come in three delicious flavors: Grape, Pineapple, and Pomegranate. Enjoy one gummy up to three times daily, depending on your needs and preferences. Chew and swallow, and then wait at least 30 minutes for the natural benefits to kick in.
Full spectrum CBD tinctures
For faster full-spectrum absorption, you may prefer our Koi Complete Full Spectrum CBD Tinctures, available in Sweet Apple, Key Lime, and Natural Hemp flavors. Tinctures are taken sublingually, under the tongue. Hold a serving in your mouth for roughly 60 seconds to allow the compounds to absorb before swallowing any remaining liquid.
- “The flavor is way better than I expected. This is the first time I’ve used CBD and this brand has been amazing so far. I instantly felt more calm.” - Theresa T.
- “The taste is smooth and tastes like applesauce. The effects are fast. Very happy with the purchase.” - David R.
- “The flavor is very subtle and nice. The sense of relaxation and well being I experience after 20 to 30 minutes of taking it is gentle but distinct.” - Tracy N.
These tinctures come in three CBD strengths – 1000 mg, 3000 mg, and 5000 mg. So you get 33.3 mg, 100 mg, and 166.7 mg of CBD per serving, respectively.
Broad spectrum CBD products
There are also gummies and tinctures available that are made with broad-spectrum CBD extract so you can experience the benefits of CBD oil while avoiding detectable amounts of THC.
Broad spectrum CBD gummies
At Koi, we have two types of broad-spectrum CBD gummies to choose from– our Anytime Balance CBD Gummies and our Nighttime Rest CBD Gummies. Both provide you with 20 mg of CBD per serving, and our Nighttime Rest gummies have an added 5 mg of melatonin for better sleep support.
- “They are delicious and work really good!” - Mary R.
- “Love this stuff. Keeps me calm but yet alert throughout the day.” - Pablo M.
- “Sometimes I need a little extra to keep the edge off and keep me focused throughout the day. I take one gummy in the morning and it seems to do wonders. So glad I found these.” - Danielle S.
These gummies offer daytime and nighttime support to keep you feeling and sleeping your best.
Broad spectrum CBD tinctures
Koi Naturals Hemp Extract CBD Tinctures combine broad-spectrum CBD oil with nutritious MCT oil and flavoring. Add a serving under your tongue, and the CBD and other compounds quickly absorb into your bloodstream.
- “I love this stuff. Always gives me an immediate sense of calm, and an able to think clearly throughout the day. The added benefit of recovery after workouts is always a big plus too.” - Josh A.
- “Definitely helps me with overall well being and sleep. The flavor is subtle and not too sweet. Very happy with this purchase.” - Lisa B.
- “This is my first time using CBD oil and I’m enjoying the results. Going with a higher mg dosage on my next order. Definitely recommend!” - Kathy B.
Our Naturals broad spectrum CBD tinctures come in multiple CBD potencies, from 250 mg to 3000 mg per bottle, to meet your particular cannabinoid needs. You can also choose from delicious flavors like orange, lemon-lime, strawberry, spearmint, peppermint, natural flavors.
What about CBD isolate?
If you’re familiar with CBD, you’re probably wondering about CBD isolate, the third main type of hemp CBD extract. It’s the purest way to experience CBD.
CBD isolate is made by refining hemp extract into a highly concentrated CBD powder. We remove the other cannabinoids, terpenes, and compounds found in hemp oil, leaving pure CBD compounds that can be infused into multiple types of products.
While you don’t get the benefits of the entourage effect, CBD isolate is another option if:
- You’re looking for a more potent CBD product, or
- To avoid even trace levels of THC.
CBD isolate products
If CBD isolate sounds ideal, consider Koi’s line of CBD vape products.
Our Koi CBD Disposable Vape Bars each contain 100 mg of CBD and are ready to go out of the box without any maintenance or upkeep. They come in amazing flavors like Tropical Popsicle, Strawberry Milkshake, and Blue Raspberry Dragon Fruit.
If you have a favorite refillable vaporizer, you can also enjoy CBD isolate with our line of Koi CBD vape juices. Available in three CBD strengths, from 250 mg to 1000 mg, these 30 mL bottles of juices can be used directly in your vape device or mixed with other favorite e-liquids. Choose from flavors like Vanilla Caramel Custard, Strawberry Milkshake, Watermelon Green Apple Sour,Blue Raspberry Dragon Fruit, Tropical Popsicle, and Flavorless.
Learn more about CBD
Looking to learn more about CBD and its benefits? Head over to the Koi CBD blog for more CBD information, including what CBD is and why it’s best to take CBD every day.
If you’re ready to start with either full spectrum or broad spectrum CBD, Koi CBD’s line of CBD products is available to purchase through our online CBD shop. We’ll ship your CBD products directly to your home.